When it comes to publicizing your Mix It Up at Lunch campaign, think a little bit old school, a little bit new school—and then start thinking beyond the school.
Old school is solid and reliable.
- Download posters from us.
- Have your planning group make posters. “Are you ready to Mix It Up?” is a great message for posters—it creates some mystery around the event. Put the posters everywhere you can, including teacher and staff lounges, a variety of classrooms and hallways, and, of course, the cafeteria.
- Get details into print, PA system and email school announcements.
- Post information about Mix It Up on the school website.
- Hand out fliers at high-traffic spots on campus.
- Encourage students to spread the message by word of mouth—friends telling friends builds strong interest.
New school rocks.
- Get the word out on Facebook and other social media sites.
- Tweet details of the event, and encourage students and teachers to re-tweet.
- Make a video—maybe students showing how to Mix It Up at Lunch—and post it on YouTube and your school website.
- What about a flashmob in the cafeteria the week before, followed by participants handing out those old-school fliers?
And don’t limit yourself to the school (old or new)!
- Is there a message that would be good to put in the PTA newsletter, so parents know what’s going on—and want to get involved? Lots of PTAs participate in Mix It Up by helping out or providing a special treat that day.
- Are there neighborhood groups near the school that might support or take part in the event?
- Can you get local media to cover the event? Get started with this sample news release.)
Start the publicity now, and keep it going right up to Mix It Up at Lunch Day on Oct. 30. And don’t forget to share your best ideas on the Mix It Up Facebook page!
Mix It Up at Lunch Day is Oct. 30!
Questions about Mix It Up? Ideas for Mix It Up organizers at other schools? Other thoughts? We welcome feedback–and can respond to questions–on Facebook or Twitter. You can also browse our free Mix It Up resources online.