Being a Teaching Tolerance advisor is a great way to give back to the education community, learn more about our work and network with other anti-bias educators. We established the board in 2011 to help ensure that our materials are relevant and reflect the diverse needs of educators working in school communities across the country. The board consists of classroom teachers, staff developers, librarians, school counselors and administrators who are currently active in K–12 education, including people working at the university level in teacher preparation programs.
This year, we’re recruiting to fill five slots on the board, and the process is competitive. We are specifically looking for middle school counselors, librarians and STEM educators working in the Mountain and Great Plains regions of the Unites States. The application is now open!
Advisors contribute to TT’s mission in a variety of ways, including but not limited to:
- Giving feedback on content;
- Sharing expertise and practice via our blog;
- Reviewing feature stories for Teaching Tolerance magazine;
- Contributing book and film reviews via the Staff Picks departments;
- Helping program staff anticipate important trends and changes in the field;
- Acting as ambassadors for the program and its mission.
TT Advisory Board members serve two-year terms—the next term begins June 1, 2017, and ends May 31, 2019. Appointment to the board is contingent on the ability to commit to attending our annual summer meeting in Montgomery, Alabama. All expenses are paid for this trip, which is a unique experience to meet with like-minded educators and share ideas while visiting some of the most important memorials and landmarks of the civil rights era. This summer’s meeting will be held July 19-21.
If you think your experience, practice and expertise fit the bill, be sure to apply. The deadline is March 9; new advisory board members will be notified by early April.
We look forward to reading your application!
- You Could Be on the Next TT Advisory Board!
- Introducing the 2015-17 TT Advisory Board!
- Building a Community of Upstanders: Planning
- Glenn Singleton
- Making Black History Month Memorable
- TT Welcomes the 2013 Advisory Board
- Finding a Network of Educators for Equity
- Ask Teaching Tolerance
- Standing on the Legacy Rosa Built
- Announcing the 2011 Teaching Tolerance Advisory Board