We’re amazed by the innovative approaches to Mix It Up at Lunch Day we saw in 2015! If you and your colleagues hosted an outstanding Mix event and have kept the Mix spirit going all year, we hope you’ll apply to have your school designated as a Mix It Up Model School.
Teaching Tolerance recognizes Mix It Up Model Schools for creating the kind of atmosphere that makes all students feel welcome. Your school’s profile on our website will show educators and students worldwide what year-round commitment to inclusiveness looks like. Each Model School receives an official certificate of recognition and a Model School badge for the school website so everyone can share in the celebration!
To apply, fill out the Model School application and tell us what makes your school exemplary. In addition to needing school and contact information for the Mix coordinator, we’ll also want to know:
- What happened during your Mix event?
- How many students participated?
- Who helped organize the event?
- How your team publicized the event?
- How your team prepared students for the event?
- What unique activity, strategy or discussion starter did you use?
- How do you know your event was a success?
How to Become a Mix It Up Model School
The 2015-2016 Mix It Up Model Schools will have met these criteria.
1. Participation: Your school hosted a Mix It Up at Lunch Day between the beginning of the school year and February 19. (It did not have to fall on National Mix It Up at Lunch Day, October 27.)
2. Extension: Your school followed up (or plans to follow up) with at least two additional Mix It Up-related programs or events on your campus.
3. Organization: Members from across the school community (e.g., cafeteria staff, aides, administration, teachers or students) helped organize Mix It Up.
4. Publicity: You publicized Mix It Up at Lunch Day or celebrated inclusiveness through a variety of channels, such as posters, announcements and other media.
5. Implementation: You have evidence that students and colleagues saw Mix It Up at Lunch Day as a success.
Don’t meet all the criteria yet? No worries. Applications aren't due until February 19.
We can’t wait to get your application!