Perspectives for a Diverse America and Reading Diversity are joining forces!
Teaching Tolerance staff members are regularly asked if we’re accepting text recommendations for Perspectives for a Diverse America. The answer is yes! Is there a social justice reading that you would like to suggest for the Central Text Anthology? Read on to learn how.
Reading Diversity is a tool for selecting diverse K-12 texts. It’s the tool we used to curate the 300-plus readings in Perspectives. It’s also our answer to the Common Core’s Appendix B (a list of suggested titles that doesn’t reflect the diversity of our nation’s schools). We figured, rather than publish a static list, let’s create a tool that will allow us to create and grow a dynamic anthology.
Now it’s your turn to help us grow Perspectives! We invite you to shine a light on all of the amazing, diverse texts you use in your classroom and share them with your colleagues across the country by using Reading Diversity. We are looking for informational and literary texts that span all lenses, grade levels and text types, including poems and plays.
The tool will prompt you to answer questions like these: What voices are featured in the text? How did it provide a window or mirror for students in your classroom? How do you teach your students using this text? Why did you decide to select it? We’ll review your suggestions and add a selection of exemplar texts to the Perspectives Central Text Anthology.
Here’s the step-by-step process:
- Select a K-12 text that offers diversity and representation through one or more of these lenses: age, ability, class, ethnicity, gender, immigration, LGBT, language, place, race and religion.
- Download either the teacher's editon or extended edition of Reading Diversity.
- Review the instructions, familiarizing yourself with the components of the tool.
- Review the text, making notes in the tool about text complexity, diversity and representation, critical literacy and reader and task considerations.
- After completing the tool, if you decide to use this text in your instruction, forward the completed tool to email@example.com. Don’t forget to include the publishing information and tell us a little bit about yourself, too.
Upon reviewing recommended texts and moving them through the permissions process, we’ll add new texts to Perspectives. Your selection could be next!
Christian is a teaching and learning specialist with Teaching Tolerance.
- Ask Teaching Tolerance
- Texts! Texts! Texts!
- How Do Central Texts Fit into Perspectives?
- Toolkit for Behind the Shield
- Selecting Diverse Readings Just Got Easier!
- Perspectives for a Diverse America
- Teach with 'Perspectives for a Diverse America'
- How Does the Anti-bias Framework Fit into Perspectives?
- Ban? No, Teach the Topics.