On June 1, the 2013 Teaching Tolerance Advisory Board members began their two-year terms. The 21 individuals on this board bring an understanding of social justice and anti-bias education, a familiarity with Teaching Tolerance and our mission to support equity for our nation’s children. They bring a broad range of expertise from conflict resolution to special education.
Seven members of the 2011 board were asked to serve on the 2013 Advisory Board. The 10 winners of the Teaching Tolerance Award for Excellence in Culturally Responsive Teaching also serve on the 2013 board. To round out the 2013 board’s membership, Teaching Tolerance selected four educators with expertise in counseling and middle school.
For the next two years, this select group of educators from around the country will help shape our teaching and learning resources, offer insight into trends, and represent Teaching Tolerance in their communities.
We are excited for their input as we prepare to launch Teaching Tolerance’s new curriculum Perspectives for a Diverse America, a literary-based, K-12 anti-bias curriculum with multicultural content, aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
The board includes the following members:
- Robert Sautter, kindergarten teacher, San Francisco, Calif.
- Anna E. Baldwin, high school English and history teacher, Arlee, Mont.
- Laurence Tan, fifth-grade teacher, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Lhisa Almashy, high school ESL teacher, Lake Worth, Fla.
- Darnell Fine, middle school history and language arts teacher, Atlanta, Ga.
- Silvestre Arcos, middle school math teacher, New York, N.Y.
- Sonia Galaviz, fifth-grade teacher, Nampa, Idaho
- Katy LaCroix Wagner, elementary teacher, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Amber Strong Makaiau, high school teacher, Oahu, Hawaii
- Tracy Oliver-Gary, high school history teacher, Burtonsville, Md.
- Shannon Mills, special education teacher, Clyde, Ohio
- Janice McRae, middle school counselor, Washington, D.C.
- Jennifer Butler, secondary school counselor, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Demea Richards Scott, middle school counselor, Bolingbrook, Ill.
- Trevor Scott Barton, elementary school reading teacher, Greenville, S.C.
- Ameka Cruz, high school math and technology teacher, Lynchburg, Va.
- Vanessa D’Egidio, second-grade teacher, New York, N.Y.
- James Hiller, teacher mentor, Beaverton, Ore.
- Sarah More McCann, high school religion teacher, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Daniel Rubin, high school language arts and reading teacher, Las Cruces, N.M.
- Jennifer Trujillo, bilingual educator and national director of English language acquisition for Pearson in Durango, Colo.
Popular Content Related to this Topic
- Introducing the 2015-17 TT Advisory Board!
- 2015-17 Teaching Tolerance Advisory Board
- You Could Be on the Next TT Advisory Board!
- Congrats to This Year’s Mix It Up Model Schools!
- Announcing the 2011 Teaching Tolerance Advisory Board
- Number 45: Fall 2013
- Portfolio for “And the Winners Are...”
- 2011 Teaching Tolerance Award Winners
- Vanessa D’Egidio
- Mix It Up Model Schools