- Initial Questions:
- What was the purpose of Slavery?
- What Influenced tribal leaders to participate in the slave trade?
- What was colonial life like for a slave?
- How did slavery vary in Dutch vs English Colonies in in the early 1600's?
- How did slavery vary between the North and South, after Dutch left North America?
- What problems did the enslaved face?
- What choices did the enslaved slaves have to confront?
- How could the enslaved gain their freedom?
- General Questions:
- What is the difference between being treated unfairly by another person and receiving unequal treatment under the law?
- What does it feel like to be belittled or criticized because of your identity?
- Do the ways we identify ourselves change over time?
- How are our identities today shaped by society?
- Why is it important to judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin, as Dr. King said?
- At the end of the lesson, SWBAT to explain the origins of slavery and discuss their impressions about slavery under Dutch and English Rule.
- SWBAT show their empathy growth towards those enslaved as to their lives, problems and challenges, hopes and dreams.