Mix It Up at Lunch Day turns 15 this year! Register today, and you’ll become part of a long tradition of kickstarting new friendships in schools across the country and around the world. The "official" date for Mix this year is October 25, but you can host your event any day—just be sure to register.
Let this be your guiding principle as you plan: Don’t do it alone. Mix planning is a great opportunity to create relationships with colleagues in other grade levels, subject areas or departments. And don't forget to enlist administrators, office staff and cafeteria workers—this is a lunch event, after all. Here are some tips to get you going:
- Find four. Invite a minimum of four people to an initial planning lunch. Begin with at least two teachers from departments or grade levels other than your own. Then invite at least one administrator and a couple of folks from the cafeteria.
- Maintain an air of mystery. “I have an idea I want to talk to you about. Can you come to lunch with me to discuss it?”
- Get away for a while. Meet in a location where you can talk without distraction.
- Break the ice. Use these Mix It Up icebreakers to get the group comfortable with each other.
- Get ‘em in the mix. Make an announcement: “I want our entire school to do what we just did!”
- Spell out the details. Tell them all about Mix It Up at Lunch Day, set for October 25.
- Assemble your team. Ask each staff member to commit some time and energy to helping you plan this year’s Mix event. They may know other colleagues who would be perfect for the planning committee. You’ve just created your core group!
While you’re on a roll, enlist parent organizations, local sports teams and community groups that interact with your school. Organizers who have “mixed it up” themselves will be the best models for students when the big day arrives.
Be sure to check out our six easy steps for getting started. And stay connected to the Mix It Up community through Mix It Up blog posts, Facebook, Twitter (use #MixLunch!) and online resources. With the support of the Mix community, your school can plan and carry out a great campaign. We can’t wait to hear about it!
- Mix It Up 2015: Ready, Set, Go!
- Get Ready for Mix It Up 2014!
- You Can’t Mix It Up Alone
- Meet the Mix It Up at Lunch Day Model Schools
- NEW and Improved Mix Registration!
- Mix It Up Model Schools
- Register for Mix It Up 2016!
- Looking Beyond Oct. 29
- Mix It Up at Lunch Day Is Important
- What makes a Mix It Up model school?